Stride Orthopaedics & Footwear is owned and operated by Richard Bosch, CPed(C) and Tarja Shipston, CPed(C). Both have achieved the designation of Certified Pedorthist (Canada), granted by the College of Pedorthics of Canada.
A pedorthist is an individual who is trained in the manufacturing, fitting and modification of foot appliances and footwear for the purposes of alleviating painful or debilitating conditions and providing assistance for abnormalities or limited actions of the lower limb.
The pedorthist provides devices and footwear to assist in:
- Accommodation of foot deformities;
- Re-alignment of anatomical structures;
- Redistribution of external and internal forces;
- Improvement of balance;
- Control of biomechanical function;
- Accommodation of circulatory special requirements; and,
- Enhancement of the actions of limbs compromised as a result of accident, congenital deformity, neural condition, or disease.
These are the designations and qualifications of certified pedorthic practitioners from the College of Pedorthics of Canada Scope of Practice.
C Ped (C) Certified Pedorthist (Canada)
- Assessment through observation of surface anatomy and palpation of the limb, gait analyses, range-of-motion testing, footwear analysis and review of potentially complicated health factors;
- Casting, manufacturing, fitting and adjusting orthoses;
- Fitting and modifying standard and orthopaedic footwear;
- Accommodating/incorporating complementary assistive devices; and,
- Casting and measuring for custom footwear.
C Ped Tech (C) Certified Pedorthic Technician (Canada)
The Pedorthic Technician
- Shoe fitting
- Orthotic fabrication (from files produced by health care professionals with the ability to assess such as a C Ped (C) or C Ped MC)
- Shoe modifications
- May perform duties of a clinical pedorthist under the direct supervision of a Canadian Certified Pedorthist
For more information on the profession of Pedorthics in Canada, please follow this link to the Pedorthic Association of Canada website at www.pedorthic.ca .
Click on the link for a glossary of Pedorthic Terminology