Winter Slip & Fall Prevention
Preventing Slip & Falls this Winter
- Wear appropriately fit footwear
- Use the closures (laces, Velcro or bucles) to ensure a secure fit
- Depth of the sole pattern (lugs) is importnant in snow, but the material of the outsole is most important. Rubber remains grippy in colder temperatures, while polyurethane gets harder and slipperier on ice in colder temperatures.
- Use commercial products to melt ice and increase grip on driveways, walks and stairs.
- The addition of commercial grit paint to concrete stairs can help
- When needed, use aids such as canes, walking sticks or walkers
- Bring a whistle or noise device to call for help if you have fallen and are injured on a walk
- Use traction devices such as Yaktrax or NEOS overboots